RESIDENCE IN COLLEGE
Residential facilities on the College campus for out-station Junior Members of College have been an integral part of College life ever since its founding in 1881. Collectively, these facilities are known as “Residence” [“Rez” in unofficial student lingo] and the Junior Members living therein are known as Gentlemen- or Ladies-in-Residence. In recent years the total number of Junior Members in Residence has been around three hundred and eighty.
Residence plays an important role in maintaining the plurality and multi-cultural ambience of the College. We make every effort to have a diversity of languages, faiths, regions, and nationalities represented in Residence.
Residential facilities are divided between six Blocks located in different parts of the College campus. These Blocks are named after former Principals of College. They are: Allnutt North and Allnutt South Blocks (named after Revd. Samuel Scott Allnutt, founder Principal, 1881-99), Rudra North and Rudra South (named after Mr. Sushil Kumar Rudra, fourth Principal, 1906-1923), and Mukarji East and Mukarji West (named after Mr. Satya Nand Mukarji, sixth Principal, 1926-1945). The Allnutt South Block became the first ladies’ block in July 1997. Subsequently, the Rudra South and Rudra North Blocks also have been converted to ladies’ blocks.
History – The Residential Blocks are a part of a composite architectural design for the whole College in which the buildings flow into one another, with generous spaces in between, and a number of courts and lawns. The distinguished architect Walter Sykes George (1881 – 1962), who had worked under Sir Edward Lutyens and Sir Herbert Baker in the design of the capital complex of New Delhi, designed the layout and buildings for the new campus when the College moved from the Kashmere Gate site to its present location. (Incidentally, Walter George along with his wife also rendered for many years invaluable service to the Shakespeare Society, the dramatics club in St. Stephen’s, in the design and construction of scenery for the annual productions of the Society)